The carpenter position will be expected to perform under general supervision the following:
- Journey-level work in the design, construction, repair, and maintenance of structures and related physical facilities;
- Act as lead worker to other classified staff in the area;
- And perform related work as required.
Successful candidates must have a high integrity, be punctual to all job assignments, and have a strong work ethic. Candidate must also be able to pass a background check and drug test. The following also apply to the carpenter position:
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Two (2) valid forms of identification, one being a valid driver’s license;
- Access to reliable transportation;
- Must own basic carpenter tools and work boots;
- Available to work flexible hours;
- Physical strength, hand-eye coordination, endurance, and the ability to concentrate on their assigned tasks;
- Ability to lift and carry 50-75 lbs. without assistance;
- Ability to work in various weather conditions and climates.
The carpenter is responsible for the full range of rough and finished skilled carpentry work, including cabinetry. Incumbents are expected to capable of the following:
- Work from blueprints, specification, drawings, and instructions to design, build, remodel, retrofit, maintain, and repair various types of facilities and structures;
- Inspect completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements, and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations;
- Inspect structures and repair any damage that is noted;
- Estimate cost, time, and materials for carpentry projects;
- Help erect, level, and install building framework with the aid of rigging hardware and cranes;
- Install structures or fixtures, such as walls, floors, doorframes, windows, and molding;
- Measure, cut, or shape wood, plastic, and other materials;
- Participate in the maintenance and operation of the carpentry shop.
All interested applicants are requested to submit their resume in person for consideration at 1515 S. Salcedo St., Suite 211, New Orleans, LA 70125 between the hours of 8AM and 4PM